Tuesday, December 14, 2010

HLL on Linux

Visit the High Level Logic (HLL) Website
— Home of XPL (eXtensible Process Language)

It's like XML, but you can store source code in it.

The day has come. I've been developing in Windows for a long time; never seeming to get around to installing Linux on something for testing. After a disk drive on a laptop pooped out, the difficulties of getting Windows back pushed me over the edge. Ubuntu was simple to install, but since I haven't been on a Unix system for many (many, many) years, and this is my first experience with Linux, some of the rest ... well - let's just say an experienced Linux guru would have been posting this a couple of weeks ago. (Not like I dedicated 24/7 to this task though.)

Ubuntu comes with some kind of Open Java, so I eventually figured out how to uninstall that and installed Sun Java. Then I installed Apache Tomcat just in case. I haven't tried to run that yet, so I haven't tested the optional HLL browser built as part of the robot demo.

Quite frankly, I don't even know how to create a script file in Linux yet, so I typed in the java command to run HLL by hand rather than converting my Windows batch files. But sure enough, write once run anywhere - the "Hello World!" demo works. No recompile necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment